Tuesday, April 11, 2023

Gratitude & Entitlement

 My father counseled me.
  ‘Feel gratitude, my princess!

Such love and joy filled his eyes
  as he shared his wisdom with me.

Yet, my heart was hardened by privilege.
  ‘For what should I be grateful?’ I argued.

My father, war-torn heart and thankful soul,
  intentionally guarded me from life’s traumas.

Yet, my Pollyanna life blinded me to the blessings
  all about me, which sired my sense of entitlement.

It wasn’t until well into adulthood that I learned
  of my privilege, entitlement and their impact.

Life did not afford me continued privilege
  throughout many of my middle years.

Rather, it set me upon a 15-year path
  of financial loss and discovery.

Abundance Born of Poverty.
  Feel gratitude my child!

No comments:

Post a Comment