Friday, April 7, 2023

Nomads…by Choice or Sweep

 April 7, 2023

   Elucidating for me why so many unhoused people

relocated to the church this month, he explained,

When one of us moves, the others will follow.  

That is how our nomadic community works.’

    I didn’t ask him why, but I can guess.

Humans need community, others.

When faced with trials and loss,

we need each other even more.

   His community travels together,

simply as they are community.

I also didn’t think to ask why

their community is nomadic.

   Lest I fill my void of knowledge

with my ill-advised perceptions,

I turn my mind to another thing

I witnessed this year on this block.

   I learned and witnessed this last year

that there is a crusade of the ‘haves’ 

to sweep ‘those people’ from our streets.

  Wrapped in cloaks of anger and disgust,

they call politicians, the fire department,

police, the county, anyone who will listen.

   And they demand the expulsion of 'those people'

from our streets and lives, forcefully, if needed.

   Green flyers are posted on the trees with words

warning, ‘Leave or Be Moved’ and the implied

threat that all their belongings will be impounded.

   Word has it that people can get their belongings back.

They just need to drive to some undisclosed address.

   I made such a call three weeks past, charged with vitriol

and fueled by my fear, exhaustion and self-righteousness.

   The police came, but didn't do anything, making me even

more furious at ‘those people’ and the law enforcement that

doesn't enforce the law for 'good people who are trying to help'.

   Let us pause now, in this story unfolding, to breathe deeply.

For see, this, for many, is the most holy week of the year.

   Thank (not God, I think) 'those people' are finally gone,

in time for us to celebrate in peace and without fear,

in our bubble of self-justified rights and privilege. 


No comments:

Post a Comment