Saturday, November 9, 2013

Cailleach's Wrath

Her anger coalesced into form.
  Mountains shook, oceans swelled.
  Winds whipped into deadly cyclones.

'I awake from my slumber to discover
  you have desecrated this sacred ground!!'
  I hear naught but her terrible, deafening scream.

Her eyes, torrents of  disgust and ferociousness,
  level on me, insignificant, inferior, a minor blip in life.
  As I slouch in fear, she draws near, eyes piercing my soul.

'Humankind is a pernicious pestilence upon this earth!'
  'In one night, humanity slaughters the mother of its soul!'
  'Can you not see you have laid waste to life itself?!' she exclaims.

'The animals depart forever this earth. Their spirits hasten to my side.'
  'Can you count the number you have killed in your indolence?!'
  'Can you not see the vital roles they play in the web of life?!'

Gathering courage, I plead in defense of my sullied species.
  'Yes, we are responsible for the ruin. But, we are young.'
  'We have lost our way. Please, take pity on us, please!'

'Only your extermination will release this earth from
  the plague that is humankind!' Cailleach protests.
  'It is a fool’s errand that you ask me to follow!'

'Please!' I cry, shamed by our brazen disregard
  for the precious gift of life, terrified by the
  blight we have set lose upon this earth.

'I bring winter to this world,' she declares.
  'I will arrest the process of life itself to
  purge the curse that is humanity.'

No comments:

Post a Comment